Tuesday, 24 May 2011

Tuesday, 24th May - Turner Contemporary



A flying visit to the new Turner Contemporary today, where I have to admit being supremely hungry which meant I spent more time in the cafe than the gallery!

As you will know, the Turner gallery is named after John Turner who frequently visited Margate (perhaps attracted to the town by the Dreamland Amusement Park and the plethora of slot machines? I jest!) in the 1820s and 1830s. Turner said that "the skies over Thanet are the loveliest in all Europe" and his watercolours feature a lot of Margate.

There was a Turner work (of a volcano, quite fittingly seeing as another Icelandic volcano is erupting at the moment!) and the gallery is beautiful. Its massive, sweeping windows offer stunning views over the sea, but currently there's more to see looking out rather than inside! I am not very knowledgeable about art so only spent about 15 minutes looking round! I very recently went to the Joan Miro museum in Barcelona which as far as contemporary art goes, I much preferred.

The Turner Contemporary is a charity, so I dropped all of my coins into the collection pot; would be great if some of this money goes towards staff training. Just saying....



www.turnercontemporary.org

No comments:

Post a Comment