Saturday, 29 October 2011

Saturday, 29th October - World Book Night



After a talk last week where I learned the depressing statistic that 50% of children in the UK start at school with impoverished speech and language communication, I've been doing all I can to ensure that our little bean shares a love of books with MrM and I.

If you look around, you'll see that it's incredibly rare to read a sentence - even in the newspaper - that doesn't contain a spelling mistake, punctuation error or misuse of grammar. At the talk I attended, given by an ECAT worker (Every Child a Talker), it became obvious why children can't string a sentence together - many parents can't read or write! Combined with a love of texting, pushchairs where the baby faces forward and the fact that not many families eat together any more, it's clear that the English language and communication is the victim.

As an aside, I am so sick of seeing signs like this:

"Job vacancy's available" that I actually got a red marker pen out of my bag and changed one the other day. The funny thing was, that when I returned to the shop a week or so later, ALL of the signs had been reprinted to contain my correction!!

I'm actually in the process of trying to use my pedantry for the good and am about to include a proof reading service on my new website: www.macmabel.com

Anyway, I've been looking here: www.talktoyourbaby.org.uk/home

and here: www.hello.org.uk

..and have just registered with the World Book Night site in the hope of being invited to distribute books on their night next year 23rd April 2012. If you're interested in books, please consider registered to give away a book from their list on the night! I chose the brilliant Roald Dahl novel Someone Like You, because he's a writer who appeals to children and adults alike and is eminently readable. Someone Like You is filled with compelling short stories and I feel it will encourage people to get reading!

World Book Night is a celebration designed to spread a love of reading and books. Celebrated on April 23, 2012 it will see tens of thousands of people gift books within their communities to spread the joy and love of reading. In 2012 World Book Night will be celebrated in the UK, Ireland and USA.

The 25 books that will be part of WBN 2012 in the UK have now been announced and application to be one of the 20,000 givers has opened.

This site exists in order to celebrate books and to connect readers with one another. You can learn more about World Book Night itself, the 25 books, apply to be a giver and connect with other passionate readers.



www.worldbooknight.org/

1 comment:

  1. Hi Magatha, thought this would tie in nicely with your post. I am running a readathon next february for people to sit back, relax and read for anything from an hour to 12hours, all for charity. It costs just £5 to register for the event and can take place in the comfort of your own home.

    Details can be found here. http://thailandforclicsargent.blogspot.com/2011/10/readathon-is-coming.html

    ReplyDelete