Thursday, 10 May 2012

RSPCA

The Thursday morning jumble sale has become something of a staple of my week and I may be becoming obsessed as I even took my son - still sleeping - to this morning's which was in aid of the RSPCA.

I see the same faces week in, week out and I noticed that many of them were sad today because all of the bric-a brac was pre-priced and way more expensive than they are used to. We didn't buy anything except raffle tickets and we didn't win anything here either, despite our tickets numbers being tantalisingly close!

Still, we still contributed via raffle ticket sales and also with a cup of coffee and a catch up with a retired gent I see there every week who was very grateful for the World Book Night copy of Roald Dahl's Someone Like You that I handed over to him today.

www.rspca.org.uk


When the RSPCA was founded in a London coffee shop back in 1824, the men present knew they were creating the world’s first animal welfare charity, but they couldn’t possibly have imagined the size and shape that the charity would become today.

Back then we were the SPCA - Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Royal patronage followed in 1837 and Queen Victoria gave permission to add the royal R in 1840, making us the RSPCA as we’re known worldwide today.

No comments:

Post a Comment