Thursday, 14 February 2013

#KindnessChallenge Day 13: Give Someone a Treat

I completely forgot about the Kindness Challenge and thought I'd finished it until I was looking for an email and came across it again!

And day 13 (which most people did months ago) is to give someone a treat which I happened to do yesterday.

I listed a car seat on Freecycle ages ago and had nothing but troublesome responses. People wanting to inspect it then asking if it came with a sunshade, or a remote control, or a digital voice enhancer.

Not one of them said please or thank you.

But then I saw a post on freecycle and offered it to a nice lady who said she'd collect. But then I thought - why don't I deliver it to you? You must be quite pregnant and not wanting to travel.

So I said I'd deliver it to her work as that was most convenient for her.

Except the place that I thought was her work, wasn't.

I walked up and down and up and down the street for an hour looking for it.

And emailed her to say my son was getting cold and she gave me directions, so I dropped it off to find she was lovely and very grateful, so hopefully everyone's a winner here!





Isn’t it nice when you get a treat from someone? Be it when a friend foots for your bill, when your tab gets mysteriously paid for, or when someone buys you a meal out of the blue?

For one reason or another, I often get treated by others. When I was traveling in Europe and United States last year, the friends I made there and the people who hosted me would graciously treat me time and again. Even in Singapore, I often get treats from others out of the blue.

I never expect any of those people to treat me, but they do anyway. (While we’re on the topic of treats, I actually don’t expect guys to treat me on dates either, because I think it’s not fair to expect the other party to pay just because he is a guy.) Whenever someone offers to foot the bill for me, I’m always pleasantly surprised. I just feel I’m so blessed and lucky to be surrounded by such gracious and generous individuals.

Because I often get treats, I know how good it feels to receive a treat. While I’ve been brought up with the notion of going dutch, I realized that giving others treats is quite a wonderful feeling. Not just for the recipient, but for yourself as the person giving you the treat. I’ve adopted the practice of giving others treats since my world trip and I say it has made me a more generous person. It has made me less definitive on boundaries between me and others and instead embrace the oneness ideology (not just emotionally or mentally, but now fiscally as well).

So, your task today is to give someone a treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment