Monday, 1 September 2014

#icebucketchallenge

Everybody’s talking about the ice bucket challenge, and it’s created a bit of a stir in the McHousehold, which is fortunate as I’ve completely neglected this blog of late!
That’s not to say that I haven’t been donating, but my latest charitable contributions of late have consisted of bags and bags and bags of clothes, books and an unbelievable amount of bedding which has all been donated to a variety of charity shops and even those scary bins that you find in supermarket car parks.

But I digress.

Back to the ice bucket challenge for ALS, (Or MND or even Macmillan as they cheekily seem to have piggy backed onto the cause). The reason for the hooha in the McHousehold is that MrM was nominated over the weekend and was paralyzed with indecision about what to do.

Anyone who has done it and donated is to be congratulated for helping raise awareness and funds for the cause. Apparently, more than 1.2 million #IceBucketChallenge videos have appeared online (and I think I’ve watched most of them!) But personally, I just don’t fancy it. I think it’s run its course and that watching yet another person tip water over their heads is starting to get a teensy bit old.
I also have a problem with the sheer wastefulness of tipping water over your head when there are people in the world with none. I’m not just talking about Africa, but also California.

MrM and I spent hours debating this over the weekend and he decided that he would just donate. Having said that, check this video for its combination of individuality and yet more wasted resources! www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XOgsIAUpxI

No comments:

Post a Comment